Why Conventional Oil Filters Fail? English
Problems with Conventional Oil Filtration & Dehydration that Don’t Work
- Conventional Pleated Paper Filter removes solid particulate as well as generating the Electrostatic from oil friction and filter plastic media in the oil. This electrifies the oil and enhances the Concurring Oil Oxidation that internally affects the structure of Hydrocarbon in the oil molecule. This is a hidden oil oxidation that most user don’t know where the oxidation came from.
- Conventional Pleated Paper Filter is unable to filter oil having high viscosity of ISO 220, 320, 460, 680 grades due to the Pressure Drop across the filter media as pump can not push the oil through the filter and get good filtration retention. Oil has to be heated at 80 °C- 85 °C in order to be pumped through filter media. This high oil temperature causes oil oxidation and additive depletion problems in the oil as well as Pre-mature Lubrication Breakdown.
- Conventional Vacuum Distillation & Thermojet removes dissolved water from oil that could take forever to remove all water from oil reservoir because both Vacuum Distillation and Thermojet draw Free Water from the bottom of oil reservoir and take some water out of the oil. Then, still deliver wet oil to the top of oil reservoir. This is why there is always plenty of water left in the oil reservoir that can never completely take out. This dehydration act as an oil & water mixture within the oil reservoir. Water in the oil will definitely cause machine breakdown.
- Thermojet has Low Filtration Efficiency and slow water dehydrating rate. Oil has to heat at 80 °C causing oil oxidation varnish built up in Nozzle. Heater Element is easy Coked up and required to be clean every 2-4 weeks.
- Electrostatic Oil Cleaner claims to remove oil oxidation which is an under statement and misunderstanding. It is not capable of reduce oil acidity showing in TAN (Total Acid Number) from oil. The Electrostatic Oil Cleaner is only retarding the oil oxidation reaction within the oil medium and can not stop the oxidation reaction because oil acidity is still present in the oil.
- Ion Exchange Filter claims to remove Varnish or Oxidation in all lubrication which is untrue. It is the fact that Ion Exchange has an excellent capability to work with Synthetic oils such as PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) and PAG (Polyalkylene Glycol) because of its High Polar Compound. Ion Exchange will not work on the Group 1 and Group 2 base oil lubrication as they are Non Polar, especially transformer oil. After varnish was removed, Ion Exchange will release H2O molecule back to the oil in exchange of expelling the free radicals of oil oxidation.
- High Speed Disc Centrifuge can remove Large Particle or Sludge from oils. The limit is only on large particulate. It can not remove minute particulate from oil. High Speed Disc Centrifuge can only remove Free Water but it can not remove Dissolved Water. It can bring water content down to 2,000 ppm depending on oil viscosity and oil specific gravity. If Free Water content is more than 3% (30,000 ppm), Centrifuge will have low efficiency in remove free water out. Centrifuge has another disadvantage in high maintenance cost. It can run for 2-3 months before the Disc Plates need to clean which becomes very inconvenience.
- Low Speed Bowl Centrifuge is not suitable for oil base unless oil viscosity is very low such as Honing Oil. Bowl Centrifuge is only good for Water Based Coolant.
Good Oil Purification System should be able to monitor itself for efficiency and maintenance interval. It should control the Parameters such as Oil Pressure, Temperature, Time Delay etc. that can be called as Smart Machine or Smart Oil Purification System. Good oil purification system should design to operate 24/7 – 365 days – Non Stop
Current Problems of Industrial Lubricants in Thailand
- (End User Problem) User lacks of knowledge and good practice of how to handle oil contamination and unable to maximize machinery efficiency. User have to depend on suppliers who are ignorance as well. Sending staffs to oil seminar become useless and no good result in machinery improvement as this lubrication expertise will take so long for employee to learn, not just from a seminar.
- (Supplier Problem) No Thai Supplier who can be accountable to direct user to really solve their lubrication problems. So it becomes the “Blind leads the Blind” and “Follow the Follower”. This is a wrong way to learn how to solve the oil problems. Therefore, the oil contamination problems and machine downtime is a never ending for user with no solution to improve.
- (Technology Problem) Most filtration technology is still the same old things. No advanced filter apply to use. Most of them still use the same conventional filters that have been using for the last 50 years such as cartridge paper filter, vacuum distillation, high speed disc centrifuge etc. Most of these filters have been duplicated by the Chinese products with poor performance. Current filter is unable to keep up with oil contamination and machinery problems.
- (Monopoly Problem) Industries face a higher manufacturing costs which has been take advantages by Oil Companies, Filter Suppliers, Spare part Suppliers and Oil Analysis Service Laboratory. User really have no other choice, but become a victim from this monopoly situation.
- (Corruption Culture) Exchange of benefits or Corruption becomes a Thai culture of “Give & Take” in building business relationship. This corruption has rooted into industries and causes lubrication problems that are difficult to get rid of.
The above information is based on our experiences with users and their comments who wishes the manufacturer can improve their products. Please review with good discretion.
© Copyright, August , 2021 เอกสารและข้อมูลในเว็บไซต์นี้มีลิขสิทธ์ ห้ามนำไปเผยแพร่หรือสื่อสารโดยมิได้รับอนุญาตจาก OilPure